Company vehicles & Scrap metal thieves
Company vehicles are being targeted by scrap metal thieves for their catalytic converters as the value of platinum, palladium and rhodium increases and the economic downturn turns more people to crime. A national insurance broker is warning fleet businesses to take care as a great rise in the crime has been reported. Incidents are said to have doubled in the last five months from 1,100 to an incredible 2,300!
Unfortunately for fleet owners if you have many company vehicles in one place, this is a great opportunity for the thieves, and can result in some very costly damage of up to thousands of pounds. The most popular vehicles for the thieves are trucks as the thieves can slide underneath with ease to remove the catalytic converter without having to use a jack to suspend the vehicle.
There are several measures you can take to protect your company vehicles –
- Store all vehicles in a locked building or a yard if possible.
- Security lights or cameras on the premises where the vehicles are kept.
- Make the catalytic converter traceable by engraving licence plate number onto it.
- Block and obstruct any access to underneath the car. This could be by parking your vehicles in an awkward position for the thieves.
- Invest in a catclamp – “The CatClamp was invented to prevent thieves from stealing your catalytic converter. Its exclusive, patented, cable cage design surrounds converters with an aircraft grade steel cable cage that’s virtually impossible to cut. Locked to the car or truck’s chassis with cable loops, it’s far too much trouble for thieves in a hurry.”
You can read the Fleet News article here.